Saturday, April 1, 2017

Snowy Day Quilt Block Sampler Block #1

Hey Guys! I know its been a while since I've added anything to share. Well, I will be sharing the blocks of the week with my very own tutorial. So you can join me here or you can follow the link to the Facebook group! Lots of great members on there for any questions you may have or just to follow every ones great creations!! There is still time to join, we have 3 blocks, which is three weeks remaining. And you will be able to find the previous PDF files & others in the "Files" tab at the top of the groups page.
 NQC Quilt Block Challenge (National Quilters Circle)

Special Thanks goes to Andrea Smith @HappyCloudCreations for sharing her quilt blocks with us!
I also added the direct link for the pattern below, so you can print the PDF.)
PDF~Block #1~scroll down

Material List
Sewing machine or hand needles
thread
scissors
rotary mat & cutter
a couple yards of fabric x 4 from your own stash :)
pins
Pretty much your basic sewing supplies!

                          Snowy Day Quilt Sampler Block #1 


    You will need to gather up your four fabric choices that you would like to use in your quilt blocks.
If you want the colors to be the same for all 9 blocks throughout, be sure to grab a couple yards each. This will ensure you don't run into any problems further in & make sure it's 100% cotton or a cotton blend. Don't make the mistake I did, lol, on my first block as you can see below. My lighting wasn't very good in my studio & I thought the solid color was a little thicker than what it was.

After gathering your fabric & supplies, lay everything out & be sure that it goes well together, doesn't clash. Helpful tips I incorporated for myself to help me keep everything organized was to number on the back side of my rows. Then in the next blocks you will see that I used a Sharpie to mark numbers 1-4 & A-D on my flat flower head pins. Any way to help yourselves out, please do so.

 "Sew" are ya ready to start sewing, I mean cutting, cause we HAVE to get through that first! :)
I know, I know, you was already firing up that ole sewing machine! Off we go....



~Cutting Instructions~
Pick 3 colors that blend & then add the contrasting solid color. You can use florals, etc.
Fabric A or #1: You will need a dark color here, cut 2 into a 4.5" x 4.5" squares(.5=1/2)
Fabric B or #2: You will need a lighter color here, cut 3 into a 5.25" x 5.25" squares(.25=1/4)
Fabric C or #3: You will need a light/medium color here, cut 3 into a 5.25" x 5.25" squares
Fabric D or #4: You will need a light/medium solid color here, cut 2 into a 4.5" x 4.5" squares &
                          cut 6 into a 5.25" x 5.25" squares   

Andrea's suggestion on color choice may help more than mine, so hers is listed below as per the pattern:
 Andrea's                                         Mine
Fabric A: Navy                               Dark Blue with Cherubs
Fabric B: Pink                                 Light Blue with white swirls
Fabric C: Teal                                  Pink with flowers
Fabric D: Grey                                 Blueish Grey for my solid

~Sewing Instructions~
      After you have all of your 5.25" squares cut out, you need to match your fabric combinations, with right sides together(rst). So take your three Fabric B's & match up, rst, to three of your Fabric D's. Then do the same with Fabric C & Fabric D's squares. You will end up with three D/B & three D/C combinations.
Then take your marking tool & ruler, mark a line from one corner to the other diagonally, then pin in place so your squares don't move.
Take your combinations to your machine and sew a 1/4" from the marked line down both sides of your squares as shown in the image below.
(Chain pieced)

Repeat for each square until all are sewn together. Then head back to your cutting table, there you will take your rotary cutter or scissors & cut on the line that you drew earlier. You will end up with half square triangle sets(hst). Next step is to open them all up & press your seams to the darker fabric. This is very important so your blocks will match up as well as less bulk.
When you have completed that step, you will then measure each square & trim down to 4.5"x4.5"

You will then lay out all of your squares as shown in the diagram below. As I said I will add the original pattern for each block so you can see it better & to follow along.
(4 rows across & 4 rows down)








Be sure you have your rows marked so you can keep them in the order needed. Either by marking on the back, post it notes or the way I done it by marking numbers & letters on my flower pins. Whichever is easiest for you, please do so. The next steps you will need to be very accurate!

Start off by pinning Row #1's squares. You can do it by matching up two blocks, right sides together, at a time or all of them the way I do, so less walking to & from my machine & cutting table. :)

Please, Please be sure to keep them in order!! Very important!!
Then take them to your machine after pinning & sew down the edge with a 1/4" seam allowance.










Repeat for all 4 rows, keeping them in the order needed. After you have done from left to right, joining your blocks, then press your seams. You will then lay them back out & start sewing the full rows together. Again be sure to mark their placement. Fold Row #2 up to meet Row #1 & Row #4 up to meet Row #3. Matching up right sides together, pinning & then sewing with a 1/4" seam allowance. Then of course you need to attach the two sections at Row #2 & Row #3 together in the same way. Then press in this way,  1st row up, 2nd row down, 3rd row up & 4th row down, this produces less bulk. Lay out your block, take a look at the fantastic work of art you have just completed!! Awesome job!!!


    This is the end result! My first block for the 9 week challenge!



                                                     Happy Creating,
                                    Debbie @ Rustic Needle Creations

( My first actual full tutorial, so please be kind & let me know if you understand my directions)

No comments:

Post a Comment